Unfortunately, Newfoundland does not have a compensation program for victims of crime. In place of such a program, the province has made available some funding for specific types of expenses that victims may incur (such as counselling or travelling expenses) through the Newfoundland Victim Services program. Newfoundland also has other programs available to the general population that victims may access if they are in financial need. These programs are listed and discussed below. If you have specific questions about any of these programs, you can find contact information for each below as well.

Newfoundland Victim Services Program


For each of the different types of funding or financial assistance available in Newfoundland, there are some specific criteria that victims must meet:

  • A police report must have been made (charges or a conviction is not needed)
  • The victimization must have occurred in Newfoundland
  • The victim must still reside in Newfoundland

Types of Coverage

Newfoundland Victim Services provides funding for the following expenses:

  1. Funding for travel and associated costs to present victim impact statement at a sentencing hearing: Victim Services will provide funding to attend a sentencing hearing up to two times (for example if a victim travels to give their statement and when they get there the hearing gets cancelled, victim services will again provide funding for them to attend on the new date of the hearing). For child victims or for victims of specific crimes (such as sexual assault), Victim Services will also provide funding for a parent/caregiver or a support person to attend as well.
  2. Funding for travel and associated costs to attend counselling sessions: Victim Services will provide funding for travel and counselling fees for eligible victims to attend counseling sessions which have been approved under the Victim Services Professional Services Program. The maximum amount of funding available for short term counselling is $4,000 per individual.
  3. Funding for travel and associated costs to attend a meeting for pre-court preparation and/or case meeting with a Crown Attorney: Victim Services will provide funding for travel and associated expenses for eligible victims to enable them to attend a pre-court orientation/case meeting with the Victim Services Regional Coordinator and Crown Attorney. They will fund one meeting at the provincial court level and one meeting at the Supreme Court level.

How to Apply For This Funding

In order to access this funding, you must contact the Victims Services branch in your area. Follow this link to find specific contact information for each of the branches. You can also email the program at: victimservices@gov.nl.ca. Victim Services will be able to tell you more information about the eligibility criteria for each type of funding and will be able to walk to you through the application process and ensure that you receive the funding in a timely manner.

Newfoundland and Labrador Income Support Program


There a few basic requirements that applicants must meet to qualify for income support:

  • Must have pursued all other financial resources available before making an application
  • Be 18 years of age
  • Be a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Submit an application for benefits
  • Be considered eligible according to a financial assessment

The financial assessment will take into account a variety of factors such as:

  • Your family income and other family resources
  • The number of adults and children in your family
  • Your living arrangements
  • The types of benefits you may need according to your specific circumstances
  • Employment related expenses you or your spouse may have such as transportation and childcare
  • Liquid assets- as long as your liquid assets do not exceed $3000 (for one person) or $5500 (for 2 or more people), you may be eligible for financial assistance

If it is determined that your basic living requirements are greater than or equal to your income, you are eligible for financial assistance.

Types of Benefits Available

The following is a list of benefits that most people who are eligible under the Income Support Program can receive:

  1. Monthly basic income support benefits: for things such as rent/mortgage, fuel supplement, cost of living allowance (Coastal Labrador Only) ($150)
  2. Housekeeping services- up to $239 for those who are relatives and $298 for non-relatives providing this service,
  3. Child care- up to $400 for the first child and $200 for each additional child
  4. Special needs costs- furniture/appliances, eye examinations, eye glasses, dentures
  5. Financial employment support- such as wage subsidies; linkages with community based employment agencies, employment development supports; employment supports for persons with disabilities; and any other employment supports and services that may assist applicants or recipients to prepare for, access and keep work

Benefits for Victims of Domestic Violence: the Income Support Program also offers specific benefits for people who live in a violent home situation. These benefits include:

  • Emergency Supports for Victims of Violence: includes transportation to a shelter/transition house or other safe location and accommodations at a safe location (these can be made through this program during regular business hours or through individual shelters at anytime of the day or night).
  • Support for Victims of Violence in receipt of Income Support Benefits: victims may also receive benefits for transportation from one shelter to another for safety reasons, transportation to move household furniture, transportation to supportive counseling, transportation outside the province for safety reasons, as well as a start- up allowance as a contribution towards obtaining furniture, linens, clothing etc. where it is deemed unsafe to return home for these items.
  • Personal allowance: given for the period of time an individual may be residing at a shelter (this is based on the individual’s financial circumstances and is delivered by the Department of Health and Community Services).
  • Death Benefits: The relatives or a representative of a deceased person may receive financial assistance for costs associated with the burial of the deceased person. Depending on the age of the deceased individual and the type of funeral desired, an amount ranging from $744-$2,338 may be provided. Relatives or representatives of the deceased person may also be granted the following:
    • An amount not exceeding $195 with respect to clothing for the burial of a deceased person where no appropriate clothing is available
    • A distance charge of $0.95 a kilometre, where the body of a deceased person is being transported, for each kilometre in excess of 8 kilometres
    • The amount of cemetery charges incurred in burial of a deceased person
    • The cost of a plastic pouch for the transportation of a deceased person
    • An additional sum that an officer considers reasonable for extraordinary and out-of-pocket expenses due to special circumstances
    • When determining the amount to be awarded for funeral expenses, the program will consider any income the deceased person was entitled to in the month of his or her death, monies held in trust for the deceased person’s death, any death benefit from any source to which the estate of the deceased person is entitled, and the income and assets of the deceased person’s spouse or cohabiting partner.

Application and Contact Information

There are two ways that you can apply for income support; either over the phone or by mail. The Income Support Program recommends that you apply over the phone, as this is the quickest way to get the application process started and you can ask any questions or voice any concerns you have right from the beginning. To apply over the phone, all you have to do is contact the appropriate office in your region (phone numbers are listed below).

To apply by mail, you have to complete the Income Support Application, and the Rights, Responsibilities, and Client Consent Form. After you have completed these forms, make sure that you and your spouse (if applicable) sign both of the documents. You should then send the forms to:

Document Processing Unit
Department of Advanced Education and Skills
PO Box 8790
St. John’s, NL  A1B 5E4

Your application is valid for 30 days. If all required documents are not provided within that time, you may have to complete a new application. A worker will let you know if further information is required. Once the application and documents are received, decisions on eligibility for benefits are normally made within five business days.

The regional contact information for the Income Support Program is:

Avalon: Toll-free: 1-877-729-7888, TTY: 1-888-380-2299

Central: Toll-free: 1-888-632-4555, TTY: 1-877-292-4205

Western: Toll-free: 1-866-417-4753, TTY: 1-888-445-8585

Labrador: Toll-free: 1-888-773-9311, TTY: 1-866-443-4046

Appeal Process

If you are not satisfied with a decision made regarding the Income Support Program, More Information about how to appeal a decision can be found online. You can also call 1-800-563-6600 for assistance.

Workplace Health, Safety, and Compensation Commission of Newfoundland


Workers that are injured or killed while at work, including injuries resulting from criminal offences, are covered under the WHSCC. To be eligible to receive benefits from this program, workers must ensure the following criteria are met:

  • The worker, or someone on behalf of the worker, gives notice to the worker’s employer immediately after the occurrence of the injury
  • The worker makes a claim for compensation within three months of the injury, or in the case of death, the spouse or dependant makes a claim within six months. Exceptions to these time limits may be made in certain circumstances
  • The injury was the result of a chance event or was the result of a willful and intentional act, but was not the serious and willful misconduct of the worker

Types of Benefits

The WHSCC offers many benefits to workers who are injured while at work, as well as to the family members of workers who die as a result of their injuries. These benefits include:

  • Wage Loss Benefits: The WHSCC can pay wage loss benefits while you are off work and are either receiving medical treatment, participating in return to work activities, and/or are participating in a labour market re-entry program. The WHSCC may deduct any amount paid to you by your employer, CPP, or private insurance while you are receiving wage loss benefits. Wage loss benefits are equal to 80% of your pre-injury net earnings with a limit of $61,615 on the amount of gross earnings insured (maximum amount of benefits you can receive).  The commission will not pay for any union dues, health care deductions or any other deductions you normally pay.
  • Health Care Benefits: The WHSCC will cover health care services and provide benefits to an injured worker where, in its opinion, the health care service is appropriate with respect to the worker’s compensable injury, is medically effective, and is consistent with accepted health care practices. Some of the expenses that the WHSCC can cover include are those related to:
    • Prescribed treatments such as physiotherapy, chiropractic therapy, occupational rehabilitation, or acupuncture treatment
    • Prescription medication
    • Travel, accommodation, and costs for meals,
    • Devices and accessories and maintenance of health care devices
    • Personal care coverage
    • Home modifications and/or vehicle modifications for more serious, traumatic injuries
  • Benefits for Spouses and Children: The WHSCC will provide certain benefits to the spouse or common-law partner, as well as children, of employees killed on the job including:
    • Providing counselling, academic and vocational services to a dependent spouse or cohabiting partner to help them enter the workforce or improve employability
    • Pay the expenses for the burial of a worker or a memorial service held for the worker to a maximum of $5,000
    • Pay spouses a lump sum amount, as well as a monthly pension equal until age 65
    • Dependent children with no surviving parents are also entitled to a lump sum award; This amount is divided among all surviving dependent children if applicable. Guardians of these children will receive periodic payments until the child reaches 18 years, or 25 if pursuing post secondary education. The guardian may receive these benefits indefinitely if the child is permanently physically or mentally disabled.

Application and Contact Information

In order to access WHSCC benefits, you must ensure that your employer receives a copy of the report filled out by your physician (your doctor will provide you with this once you tell them that your injury occurred at work) and also that you fill out your own claim and return it to the WHSCC. Claim Forms can be found online by clicking the link titled “Injury Report – Workers (6).” This form should be faxed to 709-778-1302 or 1-800-276-5257. You can also mail the form to the WHSCC office closest to you:

St. John’s Grand Falls-Windsor
146-148 Forest Road, PO Box 9000
St. John’s, NL
A1A 3B8

Grand Falls-Windsor
26 High Street
PO Box 850
Grand Falls – Windsor, NL
A2A 2P7

Corner Brook
Suite 201B, 2 Herald Avenue
PO Box 474
Corner Brook, NL
A2H 6E6

Once all forms are received by the WHSCC, your claim will be reviewed and an intake adjudicator will determine if you qualify for compensation.

Appealing a Decision

If you disagree with a decision made regarding your case, you can ask for a review by submitting a Request for Internal Review Form. You must download this form, print it out and then fill out the required information.  This form should be mailed to:

 Administrative Officer, Internal Review Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission
46-148 Forest Road
PO Box 9000 St. John s, NL  A1A 3B8

Or faxed to: 709-778-1586

More information about the claims process can be found on the WHSCC Website. If you have questions or would like more information about the WHSCC, you should call one of the following numbers:

St. John’s – 709-778-1000, Toll-free – 1-800-563-9000

Grand-Falls-Windsor – 709-489-1600, Toll-free – 1-800-563-3448

Corner Brook – 709-637-2700, Toll-free – 1-800-563-2772

Facility Association

Compensation for victims involved in accidents with uninsured or unknown (hit and run) drivers. In all of the Atlantic provinces, drivers who are injured or killed in accidents with uninsured or unknown (as in the case of hit and run accidents) drivers can turn to the Facility Association for assistance in getting the costs incurred as a result of the accident covered. The type of assistance drivers are eligible for will depend greatly on the area they live in, whether they have their own personal auto insurance, and the type of coverage included in their insurance plan. The money used to cover these costs comes from the Uninsured Automobile Funds for each of the Atlantic Provinces

If you are in an accident with an uninsured or unknown driver, you should contact the Facility Association at 1-800-268-9572 for more information on how to take advantage of the services they offer. The legislation that the Facility Association must follow when assisting Newfoundland and Labrador drivers who access their services can be found online: Consolidated Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 985/96.

*See “A Victim’s Guide to Financial Assistance Available to Canadians” for additional information on Federal Programs and restitution.

Feedback about our Victim Library is greatly appreciated.

Please vofv(at)victimsofviolence(dot)on.ca if you have any comments, or to report errors or omissions.

Last modified: April 22, 2016