There are many ways that victims of crime can seek financial assistance in Saskatchewan. The province has a specific program for victims of crime called the Saskatchewan Victim Compensation Program, as well as other programs available to the general population that victims may access if they are in financial need. All of these programs are listed and discussed below. If you have specific questions about any of these programs, you can find contact information for each below as well.


Victims Services grants compensation to victims for reasonable expenses resulting from criminal acts of personal violence, such as physical and/or sexual assault, murder, robbery and kidnapping. It does not cover expenses related to property crimes.


You may be eligible for compensation if:

  • The crime occurred in Saskatchewan
  • You report the crime to the police, however a conviction is not necessary
  • The harm is the result of a Criminal Code offense listed in the Victims of Crime Regulations, including personal violence such as robbery, sex crimes, assault causing bodily harm, manslaughter, murder, attempted murder and kidnapping
  • You apply for compensation within two years from the date of injury, or in the case of sexual assault, within two years from the date the offense was reported to police

This program does not compensate for pain and suffering, personal property, or legal fees. You do not need a lawyer to apply.

Victims may be deemed ineligible for compensation if it is determined that their injury or death occurred while participating in a criminal offense or if they fail to provide the program with requested information within a reasonable amount of time after the request was made.


The maximum amount of compensation a victim can receive from this program is $100,000 in total.

Victims may be compensated for expenses such as:

  • Certain medical costs (such as ambulance costs and prescriptions not covered by another plan, as well as dental, chiropractic and eye glass costs)
  • Counselling, including traditional Aboriginal healing methods, for both direct victims and secondary victims (family members of homicide victims)
  • Loss of income where it is not covered by Employment Insurance, Workers’ Compensation or an insurance plan
  • Clothing damaged as a result of the crime
  • Offences involving motor vehicle-related deaths in which family members may receive compensation for counselling
  • Counselling for homicide witnesses and child witnesses of domestic violence
  • Loss of income by parents or other person accompanying a child victim, or an adult victim with a disability, for medical or counselling appointments related to their victimization
  • Funeral expenses to a maximum of $5,000 (this is included in the overall amount of $100,000) where not covered by other programs
  • Parents or guardians of dependent children of homicide victims may apply for assistance regarding the loss of support for the dependent children because of the homicide

It is important to note that the amount of compensation you may receive will be influenced by income from other agencies. For example, coverage for medical expenses may be decreased if you are already receiving similar assistance from the Saskatchewan Assistance Program (for people with disabilities). You should talk to a worker about this when you apply to ensure that you will be receiving the maximum amount of compensation available for your injuries.


The application process can take anywhere between 4 weeks and 5 months. If the victim is unable to apply for compensation themselves, another person that they appoint may do so.

Application Forms for Victims can be found online.

If you are a secondary victim you can apply for coverage for counselling services by completing the Application Form for Secondary Victims.

Applications for Child Witness of Domestic Violence Forms can be found online.

Homicide Witness Application Forms can be found online.

Application forms can also be found at municipal police services or RCMP detachments, police-affiliated victim services, victim/witness services; community based specialized services, or Saskatchewan Justice (Victim Services).

You must make sure to attach bills and receipts showing the expenses you would like compensation for. The Victims Compensation Manager will obtain medical reports and employer’s statements regarding lost wages if needed.

If you have any other questions about the Saskatchewan Victims Compensation Program, you should call 306-787-3500 or toll free: 1-888-286-6664. Completed applications can be mailed to:

Victim Services
Saskatchewan Ministry of Justice and Attorney General
Rm 610- 1874 Scarth Street
Regina, SK  S4R 4B3

Or emailed to:

More information can also be found on the Compensation for Victims of Crime Program Website.


If you disagree with a decision made by the Compensation Program, you may, within 60 days of receiving notice of that decision, make a written request that the decision be reviewed. The written request should outline exactly which part of the decision the victim would like reviewed, and also give reasons about why the decision should be changed.

If the victim does not agree with the new decision made, he or she may take the decision to the appeal committee within 60 days of the notification of the new decision. You should talk to your case manager for more information and to get the necessary application forms.


The Saskatchewan government has a variety of programs available that residents of the province can access if they are in financial need. These programs are described below and contact information is given for each. If you would like more information about any of these programs, or think that you might be eligible for them, please call the phone number or visit the website associated with each. If you are not sure which program is best suited for your needs, you can contact the Saskatchewan Social Services office in your area.  Contact Numbers for each district can be found online.


The Saskatchewan Employment Supplement is a monthly payment that supplements the income earned by lower income parents.

Eligibility is limited to families:

  • With children under age of 13
  • Who receive more than $125 each month from employment income, farming, self-employment or from child or spousal support
  • Reside in Saskatchewan
  • Hold a valid Saskatchewan Services card.

If your monthly income exceeds the Income Monthly Thresholds, you do not qualify for Saskatchewan Employment Supplement. The chart showing the criteria for eligibility is available on the link below.

The amount of the supplement is based on:

  • The number of children under the age of 13 in your family
  • The age of your children
  • The amount of your household income

For more information on this program, please call the Saskatchewan Income Supplement Client Service Centre: 306-787-4723 or toll-free: 1-888-488-6385. You can also visit the Saskatchewan Income Supplement Website.


This program provides benefits for low-income working families who meet the standards of an income test, or are receiving the Saskatchewan Employment Supplement or the Saskatchewan Rental Housing Supplement.


Children are covered for most dental services, basic eyeglasses, emergency ambulance, basic medical supplies (some items require prior approval), up to 12 chiropractic services per year, and prescription drugs listed in Saskatchewan Drug Plan. Parents or legal guardians are covered for up to 12 chiropractic services per year, an eye examination every two years, drug coverage with $100 semi-annual family deductible and 35 per cent consumer co-payment thereafter.

Benefits provided for adults are limited to prescription drugs, chiropractic services and eye examinations.

For more information about this program and to find out if you qualify for these benefits, you can call the program toll-free at 1-877-696-7546 or at 306-787-4723. You can also visit the Family Health Benefits Website.


The Provincial Training Allowance is grant funding to assist with the costs of living for low income adult clients enrolled in basic education and bridging programs are not eligible for student loan funding. All of the Application Forms and Information needed to apply to this program can be found online.

Permanent residents who are being sponsored by individuals or organizations are not eligible for financial assistance for the term of sponsorship. Sponsors are responsible for supporting the Permanent Resident financially when he or she arrives for the term of the sponsorship. You should not apply for PTA during the term of the sponsorship

You can call the Student Financial Assistance Program which manages the PTA: 306-787-5620 or toll-free: 1-800-597-8278.

You can mail your application to: Student Service Centre 1120-2010 12th Avenue, Regina, SK S4P 0M3


TEA provides some income to people who are looking for work with the help of the Jobs First program, waiting for their first pay cheque, or waiting for income from some other source. TEA benefits are flat rated and not intended to meet specific individual needs. Recipients receive a monthly benefit and are expected to budget the benefits to meet their monthly needs.

More Information about this program, along with all necessary forms and applications, can be found online. If you would like to talk with someone about this program or the eligibility requirements, you should call 1-866-221-5200.


This is a program of last resort for Saskatchewan families and individuals who, for various reasons, including disability, illness, low income or unemployment, cannot meet basic living costs. Any person in financial need may apply for assistance. During an intake interview, a worker and the applicant establish the client’s needs and resources and develop a case plan. Only when your needs exceed the available resources can you be eligible for SAP.

More Information about the eligibility, assistance rates, and policies of this program can be found online. If you would like to talk to someone about this program, you should call 1-866-221-5200.


This program provides an income for persons with significant and long-term disabilities, separate from the Saskatchewan Assistance Program. If your disability has a substantial impact on daily living activities, requires you to use an aid, device, service animal, or human support, and is likely to be of a permanent or indefinite nature, you could be eligible for income assistance through this program. It offers individuals the dignity of greater choice of services and participation in their community.

A Disability Impact Assessment is a part of the application process and is designed to identify the presence of a significant and enduring disability.

More Information about this program can be found online, or you can call the SAID program at 306-798-7243 or toll-free at 1-888-567-7243.



A work injury is the result of any work-related event that causes a need for medical treatment and/or time away from work. The WCB considers each work injury on an individual basis, but in most cases this would include any criminal victimization resulting in bodily injury or death that happened while you are at work. A listing of industries and occupations that are excluded from the provision of the Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 and therefore do not pay premiums to the WCB.

The following industries in Saskatchewan are not covered under the Act:

  • Farming
  • Ranching
  • Those industries, employers or workers excluded pursuant to subsection (2) that states that the Lieutenant Governor in Council may, by regulation, exclude any industry, employer or worker from all or any of the provisions of this Act.


Injuries: If you’re injured at work, the WCB will:

  • Pay for the costs of medical treatment and medical supplies (including prescription medication). The WCB will also help you to cover the costs of travelling to receive medical treatment if necessary.
  • Pay you for your lost wages.
  • Grant Permanent Functional Impairment Benefits if your injury results in a part of your body not functioning the same way it did before the injury. This benefit is a lump sum payment that can range from $2,200 to $45,200 depending on the level of impairment. As part of the Permanent Functional Impairment Benefit, you may also receive an independence allowance (up to a maximum of 5% of the permanent functional impairment award).
  • Award a disfigurement allowance. If your injuries result in permanent scarring (separate from any permanent loss of function) on your face, neck, hands, arms, torso, legs or feet, you may be receive an additional lump sum payment of between $500 and $15,000 in compensation.

Death: If a worker is killed while at work, the WCB may provide:

  • Funeral benefits: the WCB will make a lump sum payment of up to $11,860 to cover costs associated with funeral expenses. They will also cover the cost of transporting the body if necessary.
  • Wage-loss benefits: A dependent spouse may be paid a monthly allowance. If the spouse is caring for dependent children, he/she may receive monthly compensation paid for up to five years, or until the youngest child turns 16. If a dependent child is a full-time student at a high school or post-secondary school, benefit payments will continue until the child turns 18.
  • Vocational benefits: often take the form of vocational counselling, skills assessment and career planning to become independent. This benefit can cover tuition, books, fees and other expenses while in a WCB approved job training program.
  • Retirement benefits: The WCB will help the surviving spouse build retirement income.
  • Education benefits: At age 18, each dependent child who is a full-time student at a high school or post-secondary school can get a monthly allowance, plus the costs of tuition, books and other required educational fees. Each dependent child will be eligible for these benefits for up to three years between the ages of 18 and 25.


To make a claim with the WCB, you must fill out and submit a Worker’s Initial Report of Injury Form. There are three ways to submit this form:

  1. Electronically: An Online Form – Simply fill it out online by following the instructions and click submit.
  2. In the mail: A Downloadable Form – Print the form, fill it out and then mail to the WCB at:
    Worker’s Compensation Board
    200-1881 Scarth Street
    Regina, SK
    S4P 4L1
  3. Over the phone: simply call the WCBTelefile line at 1-800-787-9288 and an entitlement specialist will fill out the form for you over the phone.Please have the following information at hand when you call:
    • Your birth date, social insurance number and provincial health services card number.
    • Your employer’s name, address and phone number
    • The name of the health care provider who is treating your injury

Once all of your information is received, you will be informed of a decision about whether your claim will be accepted or rejected. If your claim is accepted, you should receive your first cheque within 14 days. More Information on the claims and application process can be found online.


If you disagree with a WCB decision on your claim, or if you don’t understand it, you or your dependants have the right to have the decision reviewed. If you and your representative cannot agree on an appropriate amount of compensation, you can write to the Appeals Department and ask that a WCB Appeals Officer review your file. All appeals must be made in writing and must include:

  • The decision you question
  • The date the decision was made
  • The staff member that made the decision
  • Why you disagree with the decision
  • How you think it should be resolved
  • Any other information to support your position

The Appeals Officer will review your claim file to decide whether the decision on your claim should be changed or stay the way it is. The written decision will be mailed to you. If you disagree with the Officer’s decision, you can ask for an appeal to the Board Appeal Tribunal. This appeal must also be made in writing and should be addressed to the Board Services Department. The Board Appeal Tribunal is the final step in the appeal process, unless your appeal is about a valid medical question in which your doctor or chiropractor disagrees with the medical position taken by the WCB on your claim.

Furthermore, the Office of the Workers’ Advocate can help if you are having a problem with tour WCB claim or appeal. The Advocate is completely independent from the WCB, but has full access to your claim file to help you. Workers can contact them at 1-306-787-2456 or at


In Saskatchewan, all residents who own vehicles must purchase a mandatory minimum amount of car insurance from the Saskatchewan government. There are two types of insurance that drivers may elect to have: No Fault Coverage or Tort Coverage.

The Saskatchewan government has published guides to each type of insurance that explain in detail the types of benefits included in each type of insurance, in what circumstances a victim can sue the other party if they were impaired while driving, as well as how much compensation a person may receive in a variety of circumstances. If you disagree with a decision made by an insurance adjuster under this program, information on how to have a decision reviewed or appealed is also available in these guides. You will need to call or visit your local claims centre in order to be provided with an application form to apply for benefits and compensation.

Fore more information you may visit the Guide to the No Fault Coverage or the Guide to Tort Coverage.

If you require assistance, would like an application form, or need more information, you should call 1-800-667-9868 or access Contact Information for your nearest claims centre.

For those people with Tort Coverage, you should call the injury claims centre in Regina at 306-775-6000 or toll free at 1-800-667-9779.


*See “A Victim’s Guide to Financial Assistance Available to Canadians” for additional information on Federal Programs and restitution.


Last modified: May 13, 2016