This legislation aims to crack down on online exploitation and cyber bullying.
- The measures coming into force make it an offence to share an intimate image without the consent of the person in the image.
- These measures will also empower a court to:
- order the removal of intimate images from the Internet;
- order forfeiture of the computer, cell phone or other device used in the offence;
- provide for reimbursement to victims for costs incurred in removing the intimate image from the Internet or elsewhere; and
- make an order to prevent someone from distributing intimate images.
- The Protecting Canadians from Online Crime Act provides police with the necessary means to investigate crime in today’s high-tech environment while maintaining judicial checks and balances to protect Canadians’ privacy.