Prime Minister Stephen Harper announces the Government’s intent to introduce legislation to keep Canadian families and their communities safe by ensuring that the most heinous criminals will be sentenced to life behind bars without possibility of parole.
- This legislation will build on the Government’s tough-on-crime measures to keep our streets and communities safe by ensuring that criminals who are convicted of the most serious murders or those who are convicted of high treason will be imprisoned for the rest of their natural lives with no access to parole. This will include a mandatory sentence of life without parole for first degree murders involving:
- sexual assault;
- kidnapping or forcible confinement;
- the killing of police officers or corrections officers; or,
- any first degree murders that are found to be of a particularly brutal nature.
- The Prime Minister also recently announced the Government’s intention to introduce legislation that would end the practice of making early release available for repeat violent offenders.