Today, the Minister of Public Safety, the Honourable Vic Toews, announced increased offender accountability measures to ensure the safety and security of victims and law-abiding Canadians come first, while criminals are held accountable for their actions. Public Safety Canada.
Minister Toews announced five new measures relating to increasing offender accountability, including:
- Increases to the amount inmates are charged for their room and board;
- Eliminating ‘incentive’ pay for inmates working in CORCAN facilities;
- Streamlining and standardizing the purchase of inmate goods from outside suppliers;
- Transferring accountability for all institutional canteens to Inmate Committees; and
- Ensuring administrative costs associated with managing the inmate telephone system are charged to the inmate population. You use it – you pay for it.